Chris is a Cognitive Behavioural Therapist and Mindfulness Teacher working/consulting at Oxford and Twyford.
Chris has worked in mental health for over 30 years. He initially trained as an RMN, before deciding to undertake psychotherapy training 12 years ago, when he trained as a Cognitive Analytical Therapist (CAT). Chris later completed CBT and EMDR training, which is evidenced to help people overcome a range of difficulties including trauma. Chris continues to work in this role four days a week in NHS also.
Chris is an experienced mindfulness teacher and has worked with his local NHS mindfulness team for eight years, running groups and inputting into service development and enjoys establishing and understanding why they are experiencing the problems they are having. Chris also has a deep interest in Compassion Focussed Therapy (CFT) which he feels really helps clients move through shame based experiences to acceptance and feeling more positively responsive to difficulties in life.
Clinician Responsibilities of Chris Williams
- Excessive Worry/ GAD – Adults
- Social Anxiety – Adults
- Panic Attacks/Disorders – Adults
- Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) – Adults
- Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) – Adults
- Specific Phobias / Driving Phobias / Agoraphobia – Adults
- Low Self-Esteems – Adults
- Stress Managament – Adults
- Unhelpful habits (eg. Self Criticism, perfectionism, procrastination) – Adults
- Anger Management – Adults
- Eating Disorders (Anorexia) – Adults
- Eating Disorders (Bulemia) – Adults
- Over eating/Binge eating – Adults
- Body Image difficulties – Adults
- Depression / SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder) – Adults
- Sleep difficulties/insomnia – Adults
- ADHD – Adults
- Autistic Spectrum Disorders – Adults
- Physical Health Conditions – Adults
- Long Covid, CFS (Chronic Fatigue Syndrome) ME (Myalgic Encephalomyelitis) – Adults
- Mindfulness – Adults
- Compassion Focus Therapy – Adults
- Acceptance Commitment Therapy (ACT) – Adults
- EMDR – Adults
Qualifications of Chris Williams
- PGDIP CBT Therapy
- Mindfulness Teacher
- CAT Therapist
What Started Chris Williams On The Path Of Becoming a CB Therapist
- Working for many years in mental health nursing, attending training in a variety of modalities Chris learned what was most helpful to helping people work with distress was a combination of compassion and a shared understanding through dialogue. The spirit of working together with curiosity, to find out by doing different things to change unhelpful habit patterns is all embodied in the principles and philosophy of CBT. It is tangible, measurable and this brings a lot of satisfaction both to Chris and the people he works with.
Memberships of Chris Williams
- BABCP Accredited
- Chris has played in bands off and on since the age of 17 and has had the wonderful opportunity to play in Croatia and Serbia.
- He was diagnosed with ADD 3 years ago and has started to write a book on the subject as he thinks the mental health services need to improve significantly on understanding these conditions.
- He takes part in Bodycombat and loves to chat – everyone has a story!
- Chris is the proud father of 3 sons.