Mental Health First Aid
Be the Right Help at the Right Time.
You know how to bandage a cut, treat a burn or call for help when someone needs first aid. But would you know what to do if that person were experiencing mentally ill health?
We all have ups and downs in our mental health and sometimes, environment and circumstance can lead us to lose our balance. Even so, many of us don’t know how to support colleagues, friends or family members experiencing a mental health issue. Mental Health First Aid teaches you what to look for, do and say so you can do the right thing at the right time.
What is Mental Health First Aid?
Mental Health First Aid teaches people to identify and support colleagues at work who may be experiencing or at risk for a mental health crisis and connect them with the correct employee resources for help.
Three Core Components:
- Understanding the realities of mental health
- Recognising the signs of trouble
- Effective Intervention
Mental Health Affects Every Business.
According to the Centre for Mental Health, mental ill health costs UK employers an estimated £34.9 billion annually, mainly through lost productivity.
Better Support at Work = Better Work.
- Mental ill health is responsible for 72 million working days lost annually.
- Every year it costs business £1,300 per employee whose mental health needs are unsupported.
Managers are Your Front Line to Healthier Environments.
- 84% of UK line managers believe they are responsible for employee wellbeing.
- 49% of line managers reported a wish for basic training in common mental health conditions.
- 24% have received training 15% of employees who disclosed mental health issues to their line manager reported being disciplined, dismissed or demoted — Data source: Centre for Mental Health.
The same Centre for Mental Health studies that document the costs of mental ill health also find that organisations can reduce these costs by up to 30% by implementing small changes, including Mental Health First Aid Training.
Mental Health First Aid Training for Your Business.
Oxford CBT’s 2-Day Mental Health First Aid training course ensures that every participant comes away with the five skills key to spotting and managing a potential mental health event.
- Assess the situation.
- Encourage self help.
- Listen non-judgmentally.
- Encourage professional help.
- Give reassurance and information.
There are long term benefits to your organisation as well.
- Reduced Mental Health Stigma – Increased mental health literacy across your team.
- Mental & Physical Wellbeing – Healthy employees make for healthy workplaces.
- A Team of First Responders – Employees and managers who know what to look for, do and say.